Stage 12 done


212km and two big climbs in the final 60km. What a day? It was hot again - it was like cycling in an oven this afternoon. Then the final descent of 30km was fabulous- my average speed was 52kph. Had to navigate round cows on the road and donkeys.

It was a tough stage - they all are, but this year it feels like more so.

How am I?

- tired, but no surprise there,
- no muscular or physical issues, my body is holding up well,
- my bottom is ok, a bit sore,
- my crash scars are healing nicely,
- mentally it has been a struggle at times. Not sure why but maybe having done the tour before, this time I am not as determined!
- thinner, definitely - my arms are like sticks,
- socially, just a small group of friends this year. I stay well away from the bravado of it all,
- a good number of insect bites,
- hands are still carrying sensation in my finger tips,
- feet are good,
- hydration levels are good,
- eating well,
- my mouth is a bit of a mess inside - sore, ulcerated and dry. Lips ok.
- sun burnt but not excessively, I wear lots of lotion/cream.
- going to try and find a haircut after the time trial tomorrow.

Comments

Wife said…
Yes to 💇🏻‍♂️. Got to keep up standards! Please get a proper buzz cut as you promised!
Anonymous said…
French coverage of TdF has been remarking on how hot the temperatures were the week before the Tour start, and saying that it was good that the riders weren't having to cope with that extreme heat. Of course that was Le Loop's first week - so you've been through more extremes than the pros. Quite an achievement!
Is the sore mouth the result of breathing in super-hot air over a long period? Hope it calms down as things go on.

Popular Posts