Stage 17 done

I won't bore you with all the usual stuff, it was bloody hot again though and a very long stage with 2,500 metres of climbing. Anyway we are now in Gap in the Haute Alpe region ahead of three mountain stages.

The scenery today was beautiful, gorges, villages, Mount Ventoux always in view.

I have another good friend too, Gavin from Fife who was so appreciative of me towing him between climbs that he handed me a packet of liquorice allsorts whilst I was having my massage. What a lovely man.

Dinner was excellent and included the biggest wedge of lasagne I have ever eaten. We all felt it hit the spot after a long day.

My body is a bit fatigued for the first time - my legs are sore. So plenty of stretching before lights out is in order. I burned 6,350 calories today.



Had a funny bike incident too: two days ago I asked the mechanics to change my tyres – I brought two new ones with me. They changed just the rear tyre! Then last night I asked for the front one to be changed as planned and in fact they put the old tyre back on the rear wheel! Bizarre. But they are terribly busy sorting real bike problems not simply tyres. Anyway both new tyres are being put on tonight. Otherwise the bike has been perfect, comfortable – just after 10 hours in the saddle and is still much admired.

Tonight's shower was tricky, the shower tray was tiny and the plastic screen fell off its hanger. A bit Fawlty Towers.

William thoroughly enjoyed his day with us yesterday and is now relaxing in the sun with a drink in hand – sounds ideal. Liz and I had dinner last night in Nimes. It was so nice to be choosing from a menu and having some really tasty food. Today Liz has taken the train to Paris ready for our arrival on Sunday and the Bateau Mouche dinner.

Stato has put music up everyday – some great choices. When I have been on a coach transfer I have been listening to Jools Holland, Supertramp, Corinne Bailey-Rae, Joe Cocker, Richard Hawley, Cold Play, Oasis, Rag and Bone Man, Louis Armstrong, Brook Benton and many others.

Not as much Tony time this year i.e. down time, reading etc. As soon as I lie down I am 💤. Most mornings we are up at 5:30am for breakfast – need to be early to get a boiled egg. I really look forward to that part of the day. I am still missing a good cup of tea though – Liz brought me some teabags and milk sachets but my rooms haven't had a kettle since Tarbes. I live in hope.


Comments

Anonymous said…
The "other" Tour website just says "hilly" to describe Stage 17. Sounds a classic Tour understatement. And with added heat.
I was wondering what your experience with other road users has been. I'm so used to watching Tour coverage with just the cyclists and support vehicles on the roads, all heading in the same direction of course and with the cyclists being given priority (except for unfortunate motorbike incidents). But then watching a Le Loop vlog it was suddenly surprising to see riders being overtaken by cars. How are you treated by motorists? And is there a difference between French drivers' behaviour and that of drivers in Britain?

Popular Posts