Rest day Two

Sore legs from yesterday so thankfully we rest today and so looking forward to lunch with Liz, William and Maud in Nimes this afternoon. More protein please.

A good kit wash will be in order too. Other jobs include a change of tyres and brake pads ahead of the alps.

More reflections on this tour:
- the hill climbs are hard but you expect that. It is the long distances before they start and between them that sap your energy.
- yesterday was so typical TdF - let’s finish the Pyrenees with a long, long day.
- lots of carbohydrates to eat but too much of it is pasta and rice.
- yesterday I did get my request for pork pie!
- the higher up we go the cooler it gets and the easier it can be to climb.
- bring my own marmalade next time - I hate apricot jam.
- when I can get a cup of tea it is revitalising in the evening.
- I have drunk more coke in two weeks than I have in my whole life.
- people are highly competitive on this tour, Strava, PBs, even trying to compare to the professionals.
- more women this year which is great but the tour needs even more.
- the care taken by all the towns and villages to prepare for the coming of the TdF: new tarmac, road repairs, roads swept, verges trimmed, paths weeded and houses decorated.

More stories from my father’s July diary 1979:

"Raked round the top meadow and scaled the hay twice. Anthony rowed up at 1:30pm. Baled and Dennis, Ged, Allan, Arthur and Anthony carted the bales. Milked early 2:30pm then Monica and I went to Michael Horton’s wedding. Dry, sunny but cool”

Our bus has just departed for Nimes...

Comments

Anonymous said…
A fantastic Pyrenees achievement! Now you can enjoy your time with family. And lots of protein! Are protein drinks/bars any help? (I ask in complete ignorance of how these are used). I know it can be difficult to digest when doing extreme exertion (not on my own account - I can hear Wife laughing at the thought), but I have a friend who runs marathons and is sick if she eats energy gels as a boost during a race.
Too much Strava-ing and Garmin-ing is a pity in my view, but it sounds as if there are also some less fixated, more relaxed people on the tour.
Linda I just find artificial protein - gels etc make me feel sick. I just want chicken, chicken, eggs, chicken and CHIPS.
Anonymous said…
That sounds a reasonable diet!

Hope William manages to keep up with you today.

Popular Posts