The FINAL post

As of today we have raised together £4,460 for charity - I am over joyed by the support of everyone who contributed. Thank you.

Having been back at home for 2 days I have begun to recover and of course have been watching the end of the real professional tour stages. The fact that there isn't yet a nailed on winner, says a lot about the course this year, the difficulty as well as the riding conditions. My taste buds are returning and my sleep is getting longer. I have had a ride on my static bike tonight to ensure my legs stay relaxed and I had a massage yesterday. 

Tomorrow the professionals begin their last three days on the big alpine climbs, I shall be watching with great interest as the scale Galibier and L'Isferan, finishing at Val Thoren on Saturday. 

A few special thank you's:

- all the Le Loop team - organisers, drivers, physio's, doctors, for their support. Ian the coffee was outstanding, again. 
- Ruth and Denise for getting me physically ready to take on the tour.
- Pinarello - my bike was outstanding, no problems from start to finish - a beauty.
- Linda B - I suppose I could say you felt like my biggest fan. I loved the comments and your continued interest over 23 days. 
- my right leg when my left leg just couldn't push the pedal round on the final day.
- Bassetts for liquorice allsorts 
- Nish - a good friend who turned up trumps to push the fundraising to new heights.
- All Liz's friends for the messages of support.
- Richard, Nick, Gavin for riding with me on most days - we became mates. 
- Simon, a strong rider who finished early in the group. He helped me at the end of the day to get to my room and sort me out when I most needed it, he could easily have just enjoyed his evening resting. He asked everyday on the road how I was doing. 

That's all folks. There won't be another tour other than watching.

BUT I HAD A GREAT TIME AND HAVE SOME GREAT STORIES TO TELL. 

Comments

Ruth Bradley said…
Very welcome Tony! It’s been an honour helping you prep and recover. Fantastic achievement!! Ruth
Anonymous said…
The other Tour continues to press home just how much of an achievement your Tour has been. The sense of anticipation and challenge as they come to the Alps is palpable on French media, and I will be watching those climbs and marvelling how anyone could cycle up them. And then do it again the next day, and the next.
Just realised that I meant to put the following in the previous post, but I can't face proving I'm not a robot again. So - it's safe now to point you to Thomas De Gendt's "Tour de France dinner tweets". Lotto Soudal have an amazing chef - no counting grains of rice for marginal gains with them. Lasagne, spare ribs, steak, salmon.... the meat feast of your protein starved dreams. Photos posted each day of the team's meals on @DeGendtThomas.
I've loved following each day's posts!
Now you and Liz can explore some of the regions you whizzed (or toiled) through. I loved the tiny champagne villages when we were there last summer - and so many champagnes to discover. You deserve it!

Popular Posts