STAGE TWENTY DONE

Well that was rather big, sounds familiar this year. The final climb though was a monster, I think it was harder than Alp d'Huez in 2015 - 35km just went on for ever and I had to contend with an injury half way up.

I damaged a muscle in my thigh just above the knee and had a swelling in my left leg. It happened stupidly, tripping up on stairs after arriving in Gap and making my way to my bedroom. It was so difficult using my left leg to pedal that for most of stage twenty I was putting all the power through my right leg but it was becoming impossible.

Anyway with bright yellow strapping and some strong pain killers from Dr Fiona, I was able to carry on – but slowly. I made it to Val Thorens. I did get a tumultuous welcome from the Ride Le Loop team and riders – definitely emotional at the end.

We dined on steak, chips and sausages plus coke, yummy. Then a 3 hour coach ride to our hotel in Lyon. Lots of snoring from all on my coach. What an amazing day though, it means I have completed a second TdF and I believe one of the toughest courses yet. Even Geraint Thomas is commenting how hard this year's route is.

We had just spent a third day high in the alps, finishing at 2,365m. The scenery is amazing and we hit the snow line on L'Isferan on stage nineteen. Tomorrow we process into Paris and I meet up with Liz – I can't wait. Could be a tear jerker.

Before that we have another coach ride of five hours so we will be up at 4:30am. That is four hours sleep at best. But a cup of tea in my hotel room will be magical. There is lots more to tell you: stories, highlights, lowlights, thankyou's – all that will come on Monday with more pictures.

Firstly, I want to savour the finish. Le Loop remains a unique opportunity to take on the world's greatest and toughest bike race and raise money for really good causes. Again thank you to all my donators we have raised £4,230 plus gift aid. I am so proud of you, and all to help children and young adults from falling into a life of crime.

If you were waiting to see if I could finish the 2019 tour before donating, well I have done it and there is still time. Tomorrow night there will be celebrations on a Bateau Mouche on the river Seine in Paris – the bubble of the Tour will be burst but it is time, three weeks dedicated to cycling is quite enough.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Such a tremendous achievement Tony! It's becoming more obvious by the day that the professionals are finding this year's route very tough indeed. Quintana toiling up the Tourmalet yesterday, Thomas with no legs left to challenge on the final section.
Enjoy the procession into Paris and the celebrations afterwards. And thank you for brightening the past 3 weeks with real adventure and effort for those of us at home!
Nish said…
Well done my friend, not many people have the mental grid that you have showed in completing another tdf! See you soon. Nish

Popular Posts