Stage Six

For the first time in years there was an early mountain stage. And what a stage is has proved to be. A succession of steep climbs some up to 19%. We also had to contend with heat. I am sorry folks but I was taken off the road by the organisers - a good decision though albeit reluctantly accepted and  close to the finish. It was before the final climb so the rest was done and it was late afternoon. I started well but then laboured in the heat - it reached 40 degrees on some direct sunlight climbs. I was like a car over heating, I just couldn’t get enough cool water between feed stops and I wasn’t eating enough. Once back at the hotel, the tour doctors spoke with me and gave me the ok as long as I rest properly this evening, drink more and more water and fill up at breakfast. I know it sounds easy but heat exhaustion can do funny things to you. I have had 2 dinners tonight though which is helping enormously. Now tucked up in bed with a cup of cocoa, all my jobs done and I feel normal again. So I will be riding tomorrow  - Stage Seven and that will be one third done. It is a flatter stage which should help me.

The heatwave here though is continuing over the next few days and there is a risk of thunderstorms, which could cool things down , hopefully.

Some of the views across the Vosges today  were stunning. But my camera shots have not done them justice.



This is life on a grand tour, unfortunately people have bad days and I have just had one,  it is a massive undertaking. What I don’t have is any physical injuries, no physio tape holding me up - legs, knees, shoulders, hands and bottom are all meeting the challenge.

We have a more relaxed start tomorrow so that will also be helpful. We are not rising at 5:45 am for a coach transfer. We set out tomorrow at 8am from the hotel - a doddle then!

One thing is for sure the doctors won’t let me ride if I am not strong enough.

Stay with me folks, don’t worry - there was just a short interruption today.

Comments

Wife said…
From the Le Loop vlog on Facebook & Twitter, it did sound as if others were "leapfrogging" parts of the route yesterday to have enough energy for the climbs. A natural response in these extreme conditions. It is obviously very worrying to read the post above, but I am reassured to know that you are being monitored closely. You be doubly careful today. There will be a few of us "lighting candles".
Anonymous said…
A very sensible decision which will hopefully preserve your strength for the overall Tour. I can't begin to imagine what it must be like in this heat with serious exertion on a route designed to test athletes who have made this their life's work. The Bruces are all wishing you well!
Nish said…
Tony sometimes you have to liste. To the advice. It's hard but the right thing! It was hard enough walking in the heat in England so cannot even imagine what it's like with the excessive temperature and exercise... All the best Nish

Popular Posts