Rest Day in Albi

Stage Ten completed last night.

Another long day but such a good feeling to get back in a groove. More hills and a hot morning but then a cloudy afternoon and a shower helped us. Some nice photographs that will appear in the blog. The Massif Central is beautiful.

Not having a 5am alarm is such a relief. Short lived it will be but I shall make the most of it. I have got some bike jobs to do - a thorough wash for example.

Just to answer a few questions:
  • How am I feeling? - beyond tiredness, in the evenings I am simply on auto pilot. - I have been bitten by insects, all over and some big lumps have appeared. - my knock, arms and hands are ok. My last tour resulted in a loss of feeling in my fingers, but not this time, yet. - my mouth is sore, inside. - lost quite a bit of weight but not muscle in my legs. Today I will have 2 massage sessions. Shoulders, neck etc and then legs. 
  • Do I sleep well? - it is a heavy sleep, completely out until the alarm. It seems so short though. Eating today: - breakfast out, omelette and toast and coffee. Lunch with a few others probably, steak, chips and I want garlic mushrooms. 
  • Washing? - all done by hand in the shower so far. Today will be a launderette day. 
  • How did I get into cycling? - as a boy I always had a bike, rode everywhere in my village life in North Yorkshire. Then I had a succession of racing bikes, or those with drop handle bars. When I was 17 Dad and Mum we’re away on holiday so I looked after the farm using my bike. I had a bad accident and ran into the back of a milk van coming down a steep hill in the rain, rushing home to milk cows! Bike was a write-off. My knee scarred but somehow I got away with it. - then after several marathons throughout my life - the last being London in 2007, my Achilles was so sore, all the time. I got a bike and started Sunday riding with Jonathan Tink. A few of us went on to do some small events. And now I am here on Tour de France for a second time. 
  • Snakes? - we saw a dead one on the road 2 days ago. It was long, yellow underbelly. I have a bit of a phobia about snakes but like watching TV documentaries about them. 
IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW MAD I AM OR WHAT HAPPENS TOUR PLEASE ASK ME ON THE BLOG.

Comments

Wife said…
You not using the Avon stuff to ward off insects?
Serena said…
Skin so soft, Liz. It seems to be effective for Scottish midges; maybe French insects need stronger stuff?
Anonymous said…
Thanks for answering my cycling question - an impressive trajectory to the present endeavour. Watching the 'other' Tour now on TV makes your Loop all the more impressive - that uphill finish at Épernay!
I'll trade you snakes for cows and bulls any day - just ask Wife....

Popular Posts