HIGHLIGHTS

Count down to the end of the blog - my highlights of the 2019 tour.

I have been back in Edinburgh for 24 hours and returned to work today. Great to see the team again. So here are my best bits, in no particular order.

- the inspirational talks from some of the charities that our fund raising supports. At the celebration of our achievement in Paris, Monty Wates, a member of the family that set up the trust reminded us all that we had a choice to take on the tour and how important having choices in life really is. Many of the children and young people that benefit from the William Wates Memorial Trust do not have a choice about their future.

- riding with William on Stage 16 - Nimes. I just wonder if another father and son has ridden a stage of the Tour de France together?

- Stage 3, Binche to Epernay. The champagne vineyards were wonderful despite the short steep climbs.

- Stage 18, my favourite climb - Col du Galibier

- on Stage 7, with no water left on a hot afternoon a woman cheered me on from her front gate and handed me some ice cold water.

- on Stage 20 I thought my chain was sticking and I saw a group of people sat outside their camper vans at the side of the road. I stopped and in pigeon French asked if they had any chain oil. No was the answer but then one man went to his van and produced a large container of engine oil. Not ideal but he carefully applied a tiny amount to my chain and it became easier pedalling. They pushed me off.

- new friends: Simon, Richard, Nick, Jo, Gavin, I hope we stay in touch.

- Rapha shorts, no saddle soreness.

- the lasagne for dinner in Gap, big, tasty, hot, just what we needed.

- Chips with coffee at Feedstop 2 on Stage 15

- abig steak in Albi on rest day one.

- L'Isferan, the top of the 2019 course. Up in the snowline at 2,800 metres - marvellous.

- no punctures and a bike without mechanical problems.

- smooth French roads.

- going to bed each evening - rest.

- ice cold drinks anytime of day and night.

I could go on because despite the challenge of the heat and the terrain I completed a second TdF and enjoyed myself. It feels like a special achievement. Tomorrow my lowlights.



Comments

Anonymous said…
Those are a lot of highlights - I suspect they're the compressed highlights of a whole range that you could have mentioned.
Reading this while having breakfast the image of chips with coffee is not one I will linger over but I imagine it hit the spot at the time!

Popular Posts