Stage One complete

What looked relatively benign on paper turned into a brutal day in the heat - 37 degrees to be exact. Everyone went off a bit too quickly and made great progress in the morning, then hydration and toiling in the heat became an issue for us all.  It was a flat day with some small punchy climbs and cobblestones. The latter featured 7 times. The only way to ride them is head down and just go with the vibration and uncomfortable sensation. With feedstops every 40 kms we took a break and re-grouped. We also had to contend with Belgium cycle paths. We passed through Waterloo late afternoon. None of us took on the challenge of the monument steps, but at times today the ride certainly felt like my Waterloo.

Anyway I made it so one down and twenty to go?! Tomorrow is a short time trial stage so we have more time to rest in the afternoon.

One of the challenges today was drinking warm water - try it when you are next really thirsty. I promise you it is grim. I consumed 8 litres of water today. Oh and when I got back to the hotel, I had 4 liquorice allsorts - just magic. Washing was done pre-dinner and despite the heat I have no body issues apart from a very red nose!





Some more photos will go up tomorrow and I will do my first video diary and hopefully a group ride clip, with one hand on the handle bars!


Comments

Anonymous said…
Apologies if this appears twice - I'm having problems commenting. Something to do with the interaction with Google accounts. Congratulations on getting through the first day in that heat. Yes, warm water in any quantity is disgusting. Hopefully people will settle down today and realise it's not a sprint, even tho on paper it's a time trial day. Just be careful with those handlebars - no Chris Froome antics!
Wife said…
I second all of that. I thought it was Apple that was taking over the world. Seems it's also Google. Re handlebars, remember you are an uber-cautious individual!

Popular Posts